Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sweet Dreams?


Tonight as I poked into Macy's room to check on her, I found her lying wide awake in her crib. (Not surprising as the big kids were making a mighty loud ruckus while decorating the counter with toothpaste brushing their teeth down the hall.) When I got to the side of her crib I noticed she looked sad. I'm still not sure why exactly. It was probably because it was WAY past her bedtime or because she didn't really want to be in that bed. I happily took the opportunity to scoop her into my arms and cuddle up in the rocking chair with her. After about 20 seconds of rocking and singing, I realized she was fast asleep. And she looked so peaceful tucked into the crook of her Mommy's arm. I just stared at her and prayed thanking her Maker for bringing her home to us. The longer I rocked the deeper her sleep became. And then I started wondering what she was dreaming about. Do her dreams place her here or in Ethiopia? Are they happy dreams or sad ones? Is she heartbroken in them or joyful? I mean think about it: she's only been here for two months. I imagine she still has dreams of Ethiopia. I mean my family moved from our childhood home on Bluegrass Drive around 17 years ago, and I STILL have dreams several nights a month of living in that house. Weird, huh? But my point is: I wonder what she dreams about. Is she upstairs right now dreaming about being strapped to her birthmom's back as she worked in fields of coffee beans? Or being toted down dirt roads while her siblings searched for water? Or of being the tiniest kid in her overcrowded room at the orphanage? Or is she dreaming about running wild at the First Baptist Church play area this morning? Or playing dress-up with Hannah complete with glittery boots and pink feathery boa? Or riding on Jason's back until she laughs so hard I'm scared she'll puke? Or having a bubble bath tonight with her new brothers and sister? What's going through that sweet little fuzzy head of hers? I'll probably never know. But whether they are dreams of Aleto Wendo, Ethiopia or Hendersonville, Tennessee, I sure pray they are sweet ones.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Sweet girl! See you tomorrow. Now you have me craving donuts. I know you are going to get up early and cook some of those for us!

    ReplyDelete