Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Leaving Macy

This morning was our last chance to visit Macy Bereket before coming back to the capital of Ethiopia. It was VERY hard to leave her. She clung to me the whole morning, which broke my heart. She is fighting a bad cold right now, which makes me nervous to leave her. I talked with the dr. on the phone, and hopefully they will be giving her medicine now. For three days we have tried to make her smile. She wouldn't budge. She would either scowl or frown, no smile. Then as we were leaving the orphanage compound, I was waving to her from window and she smiled the biggest, cheesiest smile you have ever seen. Of course, I bawled my eyes out. I am so ready to scoop her up and bring her home.
Tomorrow morning is court. PLEASE pray that everything goes smoothly. Immediately after court we will be able to meet with her birthmom. I am anxious about this, as it will be hard for both mommas, I am sure.
The people of Ethiopia are beautiful, as is the land. But the poverty here is like nothing you have ever seen. Think of the poorest conditions you can imagine, then multiply it by 100. It's heartbreaking. There are 51 BEAUTIFUL children at Macy's orphanage. I mean GORGEOUS. And sooooo many of them don't have families yet. The worst is that the director pointed to an precious older girl (maybe around 8) and said, "She will live here until she is 18 years old. Nobody wants her because she is too old." That killed me.
Jason and I are determined to get home and share our story with anyone who will listen. We are SOOOOO blessed that God has choosen us to come on this journey.
Court tomorrow, then meeting with birthmom, then board a plane late tomorrow night to come home. Love you guys!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you all passed court!!!!! Brian loved meeting you both.

    on a side-note: That little 8-year-old you wrote about has a family! They are completing their dossier, but are registered for her.

    Brian and I tried to adopt her in May, but they said we were too young (I don't agree with that, but the good news is she has a family!)

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete