Saturday, September 25, 2010

Greetings from Ethiopia!

We made it!!!! After 27+ hours of travel, we finally arrived in Ethiopia late last night. Our luggage and donations made it as well - so we are thrilled. The weather here is GORGEOUS! The kind of cool, brisk but sunny weather we WISH we had in TN right now. I am writing this from the internet cafe around the corner from our guesthouse. I think it has the slowest connection known to man. (Jason says they must have a hamster running on a wheel to power the place.) Nonetheless, it allows me to stay in touch with everyone back home, so I am happy.
This morning we woke up to barking dogs and the VERY loud Muslim call to prayer. But it made us laugh, so we are up and energized. We are going to try to find a shop open (it's Sunday here) to find a comb and brush, as I left BOTH on my sink at home. (And please imagine trying to comb and style my mane of hair with my fingers. Not the best.) Then this afternoon we are going to go to a festival here in town celebrating Meskal. This is a week long holiday celebrating the Finding of the Cross, and today is the "kick off" of the celebration. So that should be interesting. And tomorrow we head south to the town of Hawassa to meet Macy. WAHOOO!!! Our driver last night said that is "very, very far" when I asked him about Hawassa. So that should be lovely. OH - quick funny story. So we brought 2 bags of clothing for us, and 3 of the suitcases of donations. (The other 2 bags we will bring on the next trip.) I informed our caseworker that we would need a van to transport all this from the airport. Well, apparently the message never made it to Ethiopia, because our driver showed up in a tiny hatchback car. Not cool. But somehow the driver, and two random guys that showed up out of nowhere to "help" (unsolicited help="pay me") got every bag into the car. Granted Jason was crammed in the backseat with bags on top of him, but we made it to the guesthouse just fine.
Okay, gotta run. Just found out that internet costs more than call home. Interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah - so glad you were able to post. We had a terrible time with internet service and power outages so I never really posted anything. Can't wait to hear more. Tell Jason that I will make spaghetti and have you guys over asap to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! So glad to see an update! Praying for you sooooo much!!!!

    ReplyDelete