Thursday, May 27, 2010

gulp....





This past Saturday evening my darlin' hubs and I went out for a "kid free" dinner. No high chairs, bibs, wiggly toddlers or cutting food up into microscopic pieces. Just me, Jason, and four other adoptive couples. Clay and Tracy came home with their precious baby boy last year, and the rest of us are all in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. (It is SOOO awesome knowing that Miss Macy is gonna have some friends to play with!) Anyway....where was I?....Okay, eating with no kids. So for our group date night we decided to go eat at a local Ethiopian restaurant . I was REALLY excited about doing this. The problem is that I am a VERY picky eater. I mean seriously - it would be hard to find someone pickier than I am. (Except for you, Sundy!) I don't like anything green, no beans or peas, okay - no veggies at all really, and I am super funny about textures. With all this in mind Jason said, "Yeah, you better eat ya a sandwich before we go or you are gonna starve". Well, I didn't eat a sandwich and I didn't starve. (Although I did indulge in a big ole' bowl of cereal yummy goodness when we got home.)
The first thing you notice when eating at an authentic Ethiopian restaurant is that there's not a lick of silverware. You use your HANDS to eat. So not only am I a picky eater, but I am a bit of a germ-a-phobe as well. So I promptly pulled out my sanitizing wipes and disinfected my hands. The menu was in English, but I honestly had no idea what any of the stuff was. It was pretty weird. I picked the "tibs" (plain steak meat) which seemed to be the safest thing on the menu, and of course Jason ordered this giant combo platter thing. Ugh. When your food comes you get this big tray of injera bread. Now I am a bread lover, but Injera tastes like a bitter, soggy pancake. But not yummy like a pancake at all....just, blick! You use the injera as your utensil to scoop up your food. Or in my case, I totally chose to roll up my meat in the injera like a soft taco. (This is NOT how it is supposed to be done!) I think if I'd had some shredded cheese and sour cream I would've been alright. But I choked it down, and it was alright. But OH the stuff that came out on Jason's combo platter. There were all kinds of weird sauces and pasty lookin' stuff. And in the midst of it was a random chicken leg and a boiled egg. Those are the only things I could identify. But he LOVED it (remember, the boy ate fried goat for dinner in Haiti last month!) and we had a great time visiting with new friends.
So the Bad News: I wasn't a huge fan of Ethiopian food.
The Good News: I am gonna lose all KINDS of weight when we travel to Africa!

2 comments:

  1. I am cracking up at your description of things - I felt similar when we went to an Ethiopia restaurant. Injera was good for the first 3 or 4 bites and then it was - yep, I think I've had enough :) Glad that you did at least try it!

    Tera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahaha this post is too funny :-) Hey, bravo for giving it a try!!!

    ReplyDelete