Sunday, May 9, 2010

The bestest job in the whole wide world

For some reason these pictures posted backwards -
from soonest to latest, instead of in order. Oh well, you get the idea.
This morning with my crew - Mothers Day 2010
Aidan 4 yrs, Hannah 3 yrs, Houston 17 months

Our Miracle Baby - Sweet Houston James - Dec. 2, 2008

Our Tiny Early Bird - Hannah Lee - Dec. 11, 2006
(Born 2 months early. And if any ladies out there are thinking about doing a "natural childbirth" look long and hard at this picture. It was NOT fun. (And was NOT the plan!)


My Aidan at 15 months old. One month from delivering his baby sister.



The baby that made me a Mommy - Aidan Scott.
Born August 4, 2005


I have the best job in the whole wide world. It's one that I "aspired" toward for many, many years. It doesn't pay (at least in $). It's caused weight gain. It leaves me exhausted and the house a disaster. And I swear I have lost about a zillion brain cells, because I am not nearly as smart as I once thought I was. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Because I am a Mommy. Or Momma. Or Mamamamamaaaaaa. And it's all I have ever wanted to be.
Growing up I didn't have big plans to be an astronaut or movie star or anything else kids dream of doing. I was going to be a Mommy. I decided to be a teacher because that's a good "Mommy Job". I was going to have sweet perfect little kids that never gave me any grief. I was a babysitter and nanny before I got married, and I learned a lot from those kids and parents, and often said, "Oh, my kids will NEVER do that". (Insert roaring laughter here.) Boy, did God have one up His sleeve for me!
Aidan was the worst baby ever. Seriously. Ever. And the fact that we got pregnant 2 nights after we got married, well it made for a very "interesting" first year of marriage. We had a screamin' demon 4 month old by our first anniversary. That first year was filled with lots of tears (from ME and the baby), dirty looks (between Jason and I), and the realization that if we could survive what this gassy little screamin' kid could throw at us, we could survive anything. And we did. Hannah was born the week after our second anniversary. God was good as He brought us through what we THOUGHT was going to be the hardest thing we ever had to do as parents - leave her in the NICU. But she was healthy and strong, and came home in a few weeks. I think God was gradually preparing me to be a strong Momma. Because then, came Houston. Houston is our miracle baby. After my water broke at 16 weeks, we were told there was 0% chance of him surviving. After I told the doctors I wouldn't "terminate the pregnancy" (!!!) I was told to go home and "wait for it to happen". I stayed in bed for a very long 2 and a half months. Those 10 weeks were even longer for my precious husband who had a 1 year old and a two year old to care for. And low and behold, through the power of prayer, Houston James was born at 36 weeks weighing 8 healthy pounds. 0% chance of surviving - yeah right!!!
All this to say, I am living my "American Dream". I am a Mommy, just like I always wanted to be. Has it been a tough road? Sure. Is it gonna get tougher? Oh, certainly. But this morning I had three precious faces run into my room and wish me Happy Mother's Day. And it was the best feeling ever. Except, as they climbed up in my bed and cuddled under the covers, I couldn't help but think of a certain little girl. A little girl living 7,715 miles from here. A little girl that didn't have a Momma this morning to cuddle with. A little girl who is just WAITING on her Momma to come pick her up. At first this made me sad, knowing that Macy probably wasn't getting that special Momma lovin' this morning. And then I smiled. Because next Mother's Day, I am going to wake up to FOUR little faces smiling at me. And ohhhhhhh, I can't wait!
Hope all you Mommas out there had a blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I loved this!!! And we have a lot in common - only I beat ya, I was pregnant only 3 weeks after my wedding!

    I LOVE that picture of you and Aidan - I have never seen one like that. It is beautiful!

    And I am jealous, because I always wanted a Houston and my husband won't let me. Sniff. Houston and Clementine, the babies I'll never have. Sniff sniff. And Louisa. And Woods. And, oh, well, lots. Dang husbands and their opinions!

    ReplyDelete